Thursday, February 4, 2010

the skirt has arrived

For those of you who thought I couldn't do it...well...I am doing it.
Running in a skirt.
Technically I just received my first running skirt in the mail and only ran/frolicked around my small Manhattan bedroom for a distance of approximately .001 miles...but tonight officially marks the beginning of my relationship with "the running skirt". Why would I run in a skirt, you ask? Well, why do you run in pants? Seriously, why do people even run at all? No one says: "For a good time call...just kidding, don't call anyone...go for a run!" No one says that.

Sometimes I go running for a good time, and sometimes I go running just to fight with the road. I run because I am addicted. I have been addicted for ten years. Ever since my long runs with hormonal teenagers in the wild forests of Oregon, I have been captivated by running. (The sport in school is called "cross country" You don't have to "try out" for it (Thank G-d), and even people with a 20 minute mile can be on a school team.)

I run because the adrenaline rush and rhythmic breathing cannot be found anywhere else. Its therapeutic and relaxing, yet nerve-racking and painful, all at the same time. The spiritual experience of long- distance running is unexplainable.

Yet, why run in a skirt? And not just any skirt, one that falls below my knees? Because when I decide to do something, I do it. I accept it fully with every prospective challenge and triumph. Thus begins my journey towards the 2010 NYC Marathon, running in a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment